- 2 lb (1 kg) LEAN GROUND PORK
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped garlic
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chopped fresh sage
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground celery seed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) mashed baking potatoes
- Enough short crust or puff pastry for 12 tart plates, about 8 oz (250 g)
- 2 eggs, beaten (for egg wash)
In a large saucepan, combine first nine ingredients. Over medium heat, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir frequently to break up Pork. Cool mixture for 30 minutes. Stir in mashed potatoes until well mixed.
Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line 12 tart trays with pastry. Divide pork equally between trays. Brush edges with egg wash. Cut out covers, cover and crimp edges. Freeze at this stage if desired. Brush tops with egg wash and make a small steam hole in top of each.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is nicely browned.